What Is Amazon Prime Student, and Is It Worth It?
Amazon Student gives college students entry to free 2-day transport and a wide range of different Amazon-specific companies at half the value of the corporate’s conventional Prime membership. It additionally offers college students entry to unique offers on Amazon Prime Day and entry to Amazon’s simply launched Off-to-College store.
It is useful if you happen to steadily purchase from Amazon and use, or are all in favour of utilizing, its different on-line companies.
- Not a Prime Scholar member? You possibly can join a 6-month trial and cancel any time).
Despite the fact that Amazon raised the annual value to $59 final yr (month-to-month membership additionally jumped to $6.49), the service continues to be indispensable. Plus, college students get a free six-month trial, which is considerably longer than the 30-day trial customary Prime members obtain.
Amazon Prime Scholar (Credit score: Shutterstock)
This is a break down of Amazon Scholar’s major options.
Q.: What’s Amazon Prime?
A.: Amazon Prime is an annual subscription program that gives a number of advantages for members. Subscribers are eligible free of charge two-day (and, in some circumstances, one-day) transport on most gadgets and different supply perks. Members additionally get limitless streaming video and music, in addition to particular gives on different digital media. (For the entire particulars on Prime, see our complete Amazon Prime FAQ.) Prime advantages embody the next:
- Prime Now: Free 2-hour supply (and discounted 1-hour supply) for tens of hundreds of merchandise from native shops (together with Entire Meals) in select cities, utilizing a particular Android or iOS app.
- Prime Images: Limitless photograph storage in Amazon Cloud Drive.
- Prime Pantry: Low-priced grocery, family and pet care gadgets delivered for a flat charge of $5.99 for every Prime Pantry digital field (as much as 45 kilos of products).
- Online game reductions: Get a $10 credit score on choose pre-orders.
- Prime Early Entry: 30-minute early entry to Lightning Offers on Amazon.com and new gross sales on MyHabit.com.
- Kindle First: Free entry (earlier than the official launch date) to a brand new ebook from Kindle First picks every month.
- Kindle Homeowners’ Lending Library: Tons of of hundreds of Amazon’s Kindle e-books can be found for a free one-month checkout. (Be aware: This perk just isn’t out there to Amazon Scholar members throughout the six-month free trial.)
- Prime On the spot Video: Limitless streaming of tens of hundreds of films and TV episodes, together with Amazon’s unique reveals and older HBO content material. (Be aware: This isn’t out there to Amazon Scholar members throughout the six-month free trial.)
- Prime Music: Limitless, ad-free entry to greater than 1.5 million songs. Customers can stream on demand or enable Amazon to pick songs based mostly on their style (as with Pandora). (Be aware: This isn’t out there to Amazon Scholar members throughout the six-month free trial.)
Q.: What’s Amazon Scholar?
A.: Amazon Student gives the identical advantages as common Amazon Prime ($99 per yr), at a reduction. It’s out there to college students enrolled in a minimum of one class in a school or college in the US (together with Puerto Rico in addition to on-line universities).
Q.: How a lot does Amazon Scholar value?
A.: Amazon Scholar prices $59 per yr or $6.49 per thirty days, after a free (restricted) six-month trial interval. Verified college students (it’s a must to have an .edu e mail handle) are eligible for 4 years or till commencement — whichever comes first. After that, the membership will auto-renew itself at $119 per yr. College students should pay tax on the membership in the event that they dwell in Arizona, California, Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, West Virginia or Wisconsin.
Q.: Are there different particular advantages for college kids?
A.: Amazon Scholar has a referral program that pays $5 to each the scholar being referred and the scholar who refers them. Amazon has requirements for how you deliver the invite to a fellow pupil, by sharing a hyperlink on social media or through the use of Amazon’s e mail kind to ship the invite.
Q.: Are there different funds choices for Amazon Prime?
A.: Amazon Households permits two adults to share membership advantages. So it may very well be an choice for pupil roommates, but it surely saves just one further greenback over Amazon Scholar. Alternatively, you may go for the $6.49/month plan and cancel it the months you do not plan to make use of it.
Q.: Which gadgets get free transport with Amazon Prime?
A.: Most gadgets that Amazon sells straight or by means of “qualified sellers” are eligible free of charge two-day transport with Amazon Prime. A few of these merchandise are additionally eligible free of charge one-day transport. Oversize gadgets, akin to heavy furnishings or bigger TVs, get free customary transport. Gadgets offered by means of third events (by way of Amazon Market) are ineligible for Prime transport reductions.
Q.: Is there a catch?
A.: You possibly can’t share your membership with others in your family, as you may with a regular Prime subscription. Although Prime Images and reductions on new online game releases are included within the six-month free trial interval, college students should not have entry to Amazon’s Prime Music, Prime On the spot Video or Kindle Lending Library.
Q: What if I need music, video and Kindle choices now?
A.: You possibly can join a full Prime paid subscription at any time; you do not have to attend for the six-month trial to finish.
Q.: What is the argument towards subscribing to Amazon Scholar?
A.: You might not want Amazon Prime for the free transport advantages. Purchases that exceed $35 already get free supply.
So far as the extra good thing about streaming companies goes, in case you are proud of different streaming video or music companies you already subscribe to (akin to Hulu, Netflix, Apple Music or Spotify), Amazon’s media choices could not give you something new. (Verify Amazon Prime’s video and music listings to see.) The identical is true if you happen to do not learn e-books, or if you happen to use one other reader, akin to Apple iBooks or Google Play Books.
Q.: How can I join Amazon Scholar?
A.: If you do not have an Amazon account, begin by setting one up here. It is free, however you’ll have to register a bank card in order that Amazon has a approach to cost you for purchases.
You may additionally should confirm that you’re a pupil. A university-issued e mail handle ending in .edu qualifies you. (It is only for receiving a affirmation e mail from Amazon and would not should be the handle you employ on your Amazon account.) In any other case, you may should e mail Amazon a scan of a doc proving you’re a pupil, akin to a transcript or a pupil ID. Amazon.com explains the details.
If, throughout the trial interval, you resolve that Amazon Scholar is not price paying for, go to your account (earlier than the trial interval ends), choose Handle Prime Membership and click on Do Not Proceed.
Within the meantime, listed below are some present Student coupons you may reap the benefits of by way of membership.