Twitter tackling abuse problem with new ‘Hide Replies’ moderation feature
Twitter confirmed in February that it was testing a brand new “hide replies” performance to offer customers higher management of what reveals up beneath their tweets. Now, Twitter has provided that characteristic an official launch date.
Sylvania HomeKit Mild Strip
As first reported by TechCrunch, Twitter will launch its “Hide Replies” characteristic in June. At first, the performance will probably be an “experiment,” with consumer suggestions shaping future developments. Relying on suggestions, the characteristic may very well be scrapped altogether.
With this characteristic, a consumer will be capable to disguise sure responses to their unique tweet. Which means that if somebody replies to your tweet with vulgar language or an insult, you’ll be able to disguise the reply so different customers don’t see it as a response to your preliminary tweet.
Whereas Instagram and Fb give posters the power to delete feedback completely, Twitter’s characteristic will merely disguise them and make them tougher to entry. Customers will be capable to see hidden replies by selecting the “View Hidden Tweets” possibility.
Twitter hopes that the “Hide Replies” characteristic will encourage customers to be extra considerate about what they write, with the considering being there’s no level in being hateful if the reply can simply be hidden by the unique poster. Some, nonetheless, are prone to view this as Twitter’s approach of permitting customers to silence opposing opinions or corrections to false info.
In a blog post, Twitter defined that the “Hide Replies” characteristic is one among a number of steps it’s taking to advertise a “healthier Twitter.”
- We’ll proceed to enhance our expertise to assist us evaluate content material that breaks our guidelines quicker and earlier than it’s reported, particularly those that Tweet non-public info, threats, and different varieties of abuse.
- We’ll make it simpler for individuals who use Twitter to share specifics when reporting so we will take motion quicker, particularly with regards to defending folks’s bodily security.
- Context on Tweets and our enforcement is vital in understanding our guidelines, so we’ll add extra notices inside Twitter for readability, comparable to if a Tweet breaks our guidelines however stays on the service as a result of the content material is within the public curiosity.
- We’re updating our rules within the subsequent few weeks in order that they’re shorter, less complicated and simpler to grasp.
- Beginning in June, we’ll be experimenting with methods to offer folks extra management over their conversations by giving them an possibility to cover replies to their Tweets.
You possibly can learn a top level view of all of Twitter’s initiatives here.
Twitter is testing replies moderation. It enables you to to cover replies beneath your tweets, whereas offering an possibility to indicate the hidden replies pic.twitter.com/dE19w4TLtp
— Jane Manchun Wong (@wongmjane) February 28, 2019